Last updated: 07/28/2021
We are passionate about privacy and take it very seriously.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY PRIOR TO ANY USE OF OR ACCESS TO THE LUMINOUS LOTUS SITE, THE APPLICATION, OR ANY RELATED SITES (EACH AS DEFINED BELOW).
Information We Collect
Direct Notice to Parents
Our Application and Services are not intended for—and we don’t direct them to—anyone under 18. And that’s why we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 18. Anyone accessing the Website and Services under the age of 18 must do so accompanied by a parent/guardian.
What You Directly Provide Us
For you to create a basic Luminous Lotus account, we need to collect some information about you: first name, surname, age, photo (optional), credit card (optional), a unique username that you choose, a password, and an email address at which we can contact you. We let you update or correct some of the basic Luminous Lotus account information by editing your account settings within the Application.
What You Automatically Provide Us When You Use Our Services
We explain all this below:
Usage Information. We collect information about your activity and the messages you send and receive through our Site, Application, and Services. For example, we collect information such as the time, date, sender, recipient of a message, the number of messages you exchange with other users, which users you exchange messages with the most, and your interactions with messages (such as when you open a message).
Device Information. We collect information about your device, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers (including MAC address and IMEI), and browser type and language. We also collect certain device information that will help us diagnose problems in the event you experience any crash or other problems while using our Services. So, for example, if we detect a crash or other problematic event, we may collect the list of apps on your device and other information about your device’s performance at the time of the event for troubleshooting purposes.
Website Log Information. We collect log file information when you use our websites. That information includes, among other things, your web browser type and language, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the website you visited before navigating to our websites.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
If another user allows us to collect information from his or her device phonebook—and you’re one of that user’s contacts—we may combine the information we collect from that user’s phonebook with other information we have collected about you. We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with the information we collect through our Site, Application, and/or Services.
Information We Collect When You Contact Us
When you contact the Support team or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you volunteer. For instance, if you submit artwork, files, or any other materials to us through our Site, Application, and/or Services, we will collect what you give us.
How We Use Information
We use the information you provide as noted below:
- To provide and deliver the products, services, and functionality that you request, and send you related information;
- We may send you marketing communications on behalf of us or other companies; respond to your comments and questions; provide customer service; and send you technical notices, security alerts, and other informational messages;
- Monitor and analyze trends and usage;
- Develop, improve, and refine products, services, and functionality;
- Personalize the Services by providing advertisements, content, or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity;
- Save users’ chats for security reasons and allow Temple Guardians and Rangers to provide support and harm control; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Where Information Is Processed
The Luminous Lotus is based in the United States. No matter where you live or where you happen to use our Services, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries. We want you to know this because the laws of the United States and those of other countries where your information is processed might not be as comprehensive or protective as laws in the country where you live. And while you’re in another country, know that your information may be made available to government or law enforcement requests.
How We Share Information
Here’s the type of information we may share about you with others and how we do so:
- When you send a message, your recipients will see your username and whatever your message says or shows (whether that’s a photo, video, text, or transaction).
- We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf.
- With respect to jointly offered Services or functionality or services offered separately by other companies through our Services, we may share information about you with business partners to provide the Services and functionality you request and to communicate with you about those Services;
- We may share information about you in response to legal process or a request for information if we believe disclosure is consistent with or required by, any applicable law, rule, or regulation; to investigate or remedy potential violations of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our users, or others; or in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
The Services may also contain third-party links or be a co-branded or third-party-branded service that’s being provided jointly with or by another company. By going to those links or by using a co-branded or third-party-branded Service, you may be providing personal information directly to the third party, us, or both. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. As always, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party website or service that you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our Services.
We will provide some of the account information such as name and email address to the Burning Man Project. If you want to opt-out, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t guarantee that messages will be deleted within a specific timeframe. And even after we’ve deleted message data from our servers, that same data may remain in backup for a limited period of time. We also sometimes receive requests from law enforcement requiring us by law to suspend our ordinary server-deletion practices for specific information. Finally, of course, as with any digital information, there may be ways to access messages while still in temporary storage on recipients’ devices or, forensically, even after they are deleted.
Analytics and Advertising Services Provided by Others